Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pretty Pavlova

Hey there everyone! Hope your weekend it treating you well! Here's a tasty little somethin' somethin' for ya!

The other day I was feeling the need to make something to go with all of the fresh fruit floating around our house. Our Kitchen is looking a bit depleted, so I searched for an easy recipe. Flipping through my recipes from culinary school I came across the page for Pavlova. I had never tried making that before, so I jumped on it!

Here is the ingredient list for Cathy's Pavlova. Pretty easy!
I started out by whipping the egg whites until they formed very soft peaks, then I slowly poured in half the sugar and continued whipping until they formed stiff and glossy peaks.
How do you know it's done? Hold the bowl upside down! Or, stick the whisk in, and the peak it forms when you pull it out should stay firm.
Like this!
Take the bowl off the mixer, and fold in the salt, cornstarch, and remaining sugar. Fold carefully so you don't deflate the whites! Once it's mostly incorporated add the vanilla and vinegar. The vinegar will keep your Pavlova softish in the center, which is a good thing!
Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper or a silpat and pour the meringue onto it. You can make one big one, like I did, or you can make small mounds for individual servings. I like to make it slightly bowl shaped so the filling will stay in later.
Put this into your 300* oven, and bake until slightly browned and crisp, about 1 hour. It will expand in the oven!
And then it will fall when you take it out. It's ok, that's what is supposed to happen!

Let it cool completely, but DO NOT refrigerate! It will melt! You can store it in an air tight container for quite a few days on your counter. I cut up strawberries and mango and blueberries, but you can use whatever fruit you want. Whip some cream with a little vanilla.
When you're ready to serve it, and ONLY THEN, spread a bit of whipped cream on top, make a layer of fruit, top with a little more whipped cream, and garnish nicely with more fruit. Eat immediately! (not that you'll have a problem with that)
This is such a nice light dessert, and a perfect way to feature whatever fresh fruit you have around. Mango, kiwi, berries, banana, cherries..all are good choices! Stay away from watery things like melon. This is such an easy recipe, and looks so impressive! Make a big one and gussy it all up, then serve it for company. They will be so impressed!

I didn't really think ahead, and made a big one instead of individual ones. I was certain four people could eat the whole thing! It's dessert! We just ended up cutting off chunks, which worked well. We still have some of the meringue left for impromptu snacking. Yum!

It looks scary, but it's SO easy! I promise! Just try it, you'll love it! Also, make sure to post a comment on one of my posts sometime today to enter in the giveaway! One lucky winner will get a copy of Eat, Shrink and be Merry for their very own!

Enjoy the beautiful weather out there!

2 comments:

  1. My friend, Sandra, used to make meringue like that & then fill it with coffee ice cream. OMG! Thought I'd died & gone to heaven! SOOO good!

    ReplyDelete