Thursday, August 19, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

I did it again. That's right. I took my computer into the kitchen! I'm waiting for the day I spill honey or soy sauce all over the keyboard and fry the entire thing. As of right now though, I made it through a new recipe with all electronics in tact!

I found this recipe on Angela's blog, Oh She Glows. I was feeling burgers for dinner, but not the meaty kind. This recipe was perfect!

Here's what you need:

2 cans black beans rinsed and drained
2 grated carrots
1/2 cup dry rolled oats
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp each cinnamon, cumin, coriander, chili powder, onion powder. (I skipped the cinnamon)
1 Tbsp ground chia seeds mixed with 3 Tbsp water (also known as a chia egg)
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Pre-heat oven to 325*

Put carrots in food processor and grind finely. Add in the oats and pumpkin seeds and give it a spin. It's OK if they stay a little chunky. Next toss in 3/4 of the black beans, all the spices, and the olive oil. Process well. Scrape mixture into a bowl and stir in the remaining beans. With your hands form it into about 6 patties, depending on your preferred size. Sticky, I know, but you can do it!
I actually ended up with 7. Place on a lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, carefully flip, and bake another 20 minutes.
These can be reheated on the grill, and they seem to freeze pretty well. Thanks again to Angela for posting this on her blog! SO good!

To go along side these I made some sweet potato fries. Just cut raw sweet potatoes into strips (as evenly as possible for consistent cooking), soak in a bowl of water for 1 hour, drain, and put into a deep fryer. I know, not the healthiest. But definitely the yummiest!
I whipped up some hummus as a spread for our buns, with parmesan cheese and sundried tomatoes as the stars. Use the roasted red pepper hummus recipe, minus the peppers, then add 1/4 cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes and 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese.
Blend until smooth. Yum!
I also threw together a fruit salad, to balance the fries. Optional additions were plain yogurt or lime juice.
Lettuce, tomato and avocado were our burger fixin's, along with the usuals.
Oh, this is gonna be good!
And it was!!! A reasonably healthy and very filling meal. Mission accomplished!
Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like the best dinner ever!! Honestly, just soo delicious!

    I always take my computer into the kitchen....scary stuff! Not gonna lie, I spill on it ALL the time....thankfully nothing fatal though. As we speak, my iphone is covered in fondant....cake decorating and texting...oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! My kind of person! My camera is equally food-covered. It must be the mark of a true foodie!

    ReplyDelete