Thursday, August 12, 2010

Galette Recipe!

Yesterday I rode my bike to work, like I do every Wednesday. The weather has been warm, so the ride was pretty nice. I'm excited because some of those hills are getting easier! This also counted as my second bike ride of the week, I'm working toward my goals! A couple days ago I did a long walk, and then some strength training, too. All I need to do before Sunday is another strength training session to achieve my goals for this week! Yay me!

Nothing much to speak of at work, just millions of pies...never ending pies! I worked, I came home, I slept, I ate dinner, I worked, I slept. Two shifts in one day?! What was I thinking?! Oh yeah! The money!

Today I caught up by sleeping in until 3 pm. Oh yeah. I fully intend to stay in my pj's until it's time to go to work tonight. Breakfast was tasty, but nothing original. Just my regular yogurt, chia seeds, granola and berries. Plus my jasmine green tea. I love that stuff!
Yesterday I finally hooked up with Amanda (who is a fellow blogger, by the way! Check her out here!) and paid for some of her local Pender honey! My FIL brought it home for me today, so it was waiting when I woke up! It is beautiful!
And oh so delicious! The flavor is exquisite! Ok, I need to stop eating it by the spoonful now...
You will be seeing this featured in a recipe soon! Can't wait! I also hope to do a post about her bee farm. Hopefully that'll happen soon.

Anyway, here's the point of this post. Sorry it took me so long! Galettes! This is another recipe from culinary school, by Cathy Burgett. I love that woman!

Galette Dough
2 cups flour
1 Tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
6 oz. butter
1/2 cup cold water

By hand: Mix the flour with the sugar. and salt.
-Press the butter into the flour, breaking it up into large, flat pieces. Mix in this way until the butter is well coated in flour, a little bit more than for a pie dough.
-Add the cold water and mix gently with a pastry scraper.
-Gather the dough into a rough ball on the work surface. Flatten it with your hand by pressing on it gently, fold the dough over on itself and flatten it again. Do this several times until the dough comes together. It should not be well mixed, but it will adhere when formed into a ball. Use a light touch, but mix completely.
-Bring the dough together into a ball, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and chill for 20 minutes before using.
-A 12 oz. portion of dough will make 5-6 galettes.

To make galettes
-Preheat oven to 400*
-For each 12 oz. portion of dough, cut six pieces.
-On a heavily floured surface roll the dough out to a thin circle, about 6" around.
-Pile sliced fresh fruit (or in this case, blueberries) into the center of the circle, and wrap the dough lightly around the fruit, gathering it up from the outsides.
-Press firmly on top of the galette to seal it, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
-Slather the galette with melted butter, and liberally sprinkle it with sugar.
-Bake for 40-50 minutes until crisp and well browned.
-Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
For savory galettes: use vegetable mixtures, or mushroom mixtures, slather with butter, or druzzle olive oil on top, but omit the sugar sprinkle. Lightly sprinkle a little coarse salt on top, or some cheese, before baking.

You can use frozen fruit if you wish, but toss it in a little bit of flour first to help with the juices. Fresh fruit is best. Seasonal fresh fruit is amazing! These are supposed to look rustic, and can be different every time you make them. They are a crowd pleaser! Make them now!

And remember! Only a few days left before I do the drawing for my giveaway! Don't you want a free copy of Eat, Shrink and Be Merry?! All you have to do is leave me a comment before Sunday! That's it! Get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment