Saturday, July 31, 2010

Crazy Bake, Beautiful Morning

Last night, once at work, we checked out the order book for Saturday. Craziness!! People had taped/stapled extra pages into the order book just to fit everything in! That is how busy it has been! Summer weekends on the islands are insane!
Dorian (our friend and fellow bread baker) made massive amounts of bread, B made more muffins and pastries than I've ever seen in one shift, and I rushed around like a chicken with my head cut off baking cookies, filling the case, and making tarts. I also made 15 pies, plus 3 more types of filling! Yikes!
Turns out we had so much to do that we were working for 9 hours straight! No breaks! Plus, I was literally sprinting between my work table, the ovens, and the walk-in fridge for the last couple of hours. I was downing the caffinated tea like nobodies business!

Once we were done (read "dead on our feet") we stopped and looked around at the sea of bread, pastries and cookies.

Damn, we're good! I can't believe how much stuff we baked!!!

That was definitely the longest shift I've worked at this bakery, and hopefully our longest shift of the year.

Did I mention that it was CRAZY?!

We were totally proud of ourselves, even through our delirium.

We finally got out of there, and hit up Medicine beach at about 6:30 am. It was pretty light out, as we hoped it would be. We came prepared with B's nice Nikon D5000.

Here are more beautiful shots than you probably want to look at. I just can't help myself!

The mist was stretching out little fingers everywhere today!

Then, we found this awesome log that had totally been underwater for a really long time.

There were all these hard shells from tube worm creatures.
No, that's not a cigarette butt!

The texture of the log was so cool! It just looked so oceany to us. We obviously were overly interested in it.
The light was changing so fast! It just kept getting prettier! I know it's a goofy thing to say, but sometimes these calm, still, beachy mornings feel kind of magical with the mist floating around all the little islets.
I am happy to report that I live in a beautiful place!

Just a heads up, I am going to try changing the name of my blog. Not sure if the site will let me, but just in case it works I wanted you to be warned! Now that I'm getting a feel for blogging, and what I want in my posts, I've realized that although I like Rowie on Pender Time it just doesn't give that foodie impression. We'll see how it all pans out.

Here is another thing I want to add to my blog. I read so many other blogs, and find so much that I want to try, that I have a hard time keeping up with it all. I'll be randomly posting links to other blogs cataloging recipes I want to (and hopefully actually will ) try. So here goes!

Fellow Foodie Bites
-Here is Glo Bakery, where I ordered my Glo bars. I need to keep this on hand for future ordering!
-I've been wanting to try wheat berries, and I found this great sounding salad!
-Homemade pickles anyone? It sounds so fun and easy!
-Enchiladas and lasagna in one?! Yes please!
-My dad used to make homemade crackers. This recipe looks fantastic!
-These super charge me cookies look like a great no-guilt snack!
-And finally, a no-bake lemony cheesecake. Sounds like a quick and easy, plate-licking recipe!

That's quite a list, I know! My stomach is telling me it's time for a snack, and I've got the last bit of casaba melon waiting for me in the fridge! It's calling to meee!

Do you end up with a long list of recipes you want to try? How do you keep track of all of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment