Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving with POM!

Hi everyone! Hope all of those who celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday had a wonderful time! I am still not used to Canadian Thanksgiving, it seems so early! Ben and I had the house to ourselves, so we celebrated U.S. Thanksgiving in our own way.
This is Magic Lake, all frozen over. It got coated in snow overnight!

We slept in, and woke up to more snow! We had nutella in our oatmeal, then went to visit our pigs. Tobogganing  down the hill got lots of snow up my back, but it was SO fun! I took Izzie down with me a few times, and Ben and I went together. Tons of fun!
You can see our sledding tracks all down the hill!
Bird prints in the snow! Too cute!

Then we came in, put on Miracle on 34th St., and Ben made a pumpkin pie. We played Mario Kart Wii, then I made us some dinner. We had pan fried chicken breasts, parmesan mashed potatoes, and roasted asparagus. I also roasted a head of garlic. YUM! For the chicken I made a great sauce using red wine, dried cranberries, and POM. It had that perfect festive color, and a great savory/sweet contrast of flavor. I think the POM really made it!

Red Wine Cranberry POM sauce (inspired by America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook)
1/4 yellow onion, finely diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 Tbs. flour
3/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 Tbs. honey
1/3 cup regular POM pomegranate juice

Once you have pan fried your chicken

(breasts dried, tossed in flour s&p and fried in canola oil until golden and cooked through) remove it from the pan and keep it warm.

 Add the onion to the pan and saute until softened. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant.

 Stir in flour and cook 30 seconds, then pour in wine, stock, cranberries, thyme, honey and POM juice. Scrape bottom of pan to loosen browned bits.

Bring to a simmer, and cook until sauce has thickened and reduced slightly, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over the chicken.

This was the perfect easy meal, that tasted and looked like Thanksgiving without the hassel! I've been using POM juice in other ways too! I made a spritzer out of it with lime juice and seltzer! Yum!

After dinner we had Ben's pumpkin pie and watched the new Star Trek movie.

Then it was off to work for us! I got to decorate this birthday cake! It was really fun! I think piping is my favorite! So many things you can do!

Hope everyone's work week was good, it's Friday!

4 comments:

  1. Well, many people who don't know about Canada thought it was Canadian TG too. I had to explain to some people that Canada has celebrated earlier.

    Happy thanksgiving to you.

    Since you live in Victoria, I will have a giveaway through my blog. It's only open to Canadian residents. Here is the link http://ht.ly/3g7Kj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful "Thanksgiving dinner". The color of the pom sauce is amazing, and I'm going to try that one on Christmas Eve.
    You did such a wonderful job with the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a calm and peaceful Thanksgiving! Everything looks great..even the snow ! :) I wish we had it here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend've just gave me POM as a gift in her Thanksgving party ... I will try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete