Saturday, November 6, 2010

Grandpas Gingerbread

Wow! This is post 100! My how time flies when your blogging for fun! I'd like to thank all of YOU, my readers, for making this so fun and rewarding! Love hearing from everyone! As a giant thank you from me, here is something special!

My grandpa makes the BEST gingerbread. He has always been a baker, and always has a kitchen stocked with the yummiest baked goods available. All of my friends in junior high and high school wanted to be adopted by my grandparents, probably because of the perks!

After so many years of having grandpas baked goods available at all times, moving 1000 miles away from him and his kitchen has been quite a shock. Calling him for recipes has become a common occurrence. I love being able to re-create all of those smells from my childhood.


Now that the holidays are on the way I am craving the warm scent of spices in my kitchen, and some of grandpas gingerbread. Now you can have that warm fuzzy feeling in your home too!

Grandpas Gingerbread
1 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg

-Preheat oven to 325*, and pull out an 8x8x2" baking dish. No need to grease it.

-Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.


-Combine the molasses, sugar, melted butter, buttermilk and egg. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and pour into the dish.


-Bake about 40-45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool and cut into squares.


I immediately downed a warm square, just to make sure it was good,of course. We happened to be going over to a friends that day, so I stuck four pieces on one of my palm leaf plates from Marx foods and we were on our way. Luckily I have the type of friends that happen to be whipping cream when I arrive, so that went on top of the still-warm gingerbread. Heaven!


Make this for your family and friends this holiday season. Then memorize the recipe, because everyone will be asking for it! Happy eating!


Now I'm on my way out into the fog and mist to have another bonfire! The temperatures are cooling down...maybe there is snow in the near future? Well, hopefully there will at least be snow this season! I want to go tobogganing! Happy weekend all!

14 comments:

  1. Rowie, you are such a dedicated blogger! 100 posts already! I can't wait to continue reading 100 more.

    You always hear about Grandma's baking recipes, but not Grandpa's! I think it's so cool that your Grandpa was a baker. His brownie recipe turns out some deliciousssss looking brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those looks really yummy! Much like brownies... I must try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking for a good gingerbread recipe. I know that it must be great if it came from your grandfather. I love all the recipes from my grandmother. I will make this soon.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granpa's gingerbread looks just like gingerbread should - rich, dark, sticky, delicious. I'm going to have to give this recipe a try because I tasted amazing gingerbread when I was 12 and have been trying to track down its equal since - this looks like it might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you say it's the best then I have to try it! I'm scouring the blogsphere for the best gingerbread recipe :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW! This looks soo good! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to make this recipe soon1 I remember my Mom used a mix for the gingerbread, so I'm looking forward to the real thing, especially because it's from your Grandpa:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on Post 100! Love that you shared your grandpa's recipe. Got all the yum ingredients of a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrugulation for 100 post, wish u many many 100 posts sharings ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your 100th post!

    Ginger is one of my favourite flavours. I love the simplicity of this recipe and how quickly it can be put together. Definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter loves gingerbread and I've been looking for a special recipe. This one might just be it! I'll let you know if I try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore ginger and have never tried to make gingerbread (gingerbread cookies, yes; bread, no) but this looks fantastic. I'm thinking I might have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing your grandfather's recipe.

    (And congrats on post 100!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen Anderson just posted on FB that she is baking your Grandpa's gingerbread for Christmas so I had to check it out on your blog. Now I know why Liz just loved spending time with you @ your Grandma & Grandpa's house. I'm tempted to try this recipe to surprise Liz & her new b-friend Dae ( he's awesome).
    Miss, miss, miss you!

    ReplyDelete