Friday, October 22, 2010

Blueberry Bavarian Cream and A CSN Winner!

Hello everyone! Happy Friday!!! (If I were a muppet I'd be dancing and waving my arms!) The weekend is almost here, and I have been a craft-making maniac! I recently paid for my table for the Christmas craft fair, so I have been working on my stock! I think I'll be selling an odd conglomeration of handmade cards and gift tags, jewelry, homemade chapstick, and probably some homemade candy. Guess what I'll be doing as soon as I'm done with this post? ;)

Before I dive into the Bavarian cream recipe I'd like to post the winner of my CSN giveaway! By random selection, the winner is....

SolDucky!

Congratulations! Please email me (in my contact tab) with your email address and I'll have your gift certificate to you ASAP! Thanks for participating everyone!


Here is the Bavarian cream recipe that I made for our Canadian Thanksgiving! I used blueberries, but this really works with any berry. Enjoy!


Blueberry Bavarian Cream (adapted from Cathy Burgetts strawberry bavarian cream recipe)
2 Tbsp gelatin
1/2 cup water
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb. blueberries
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
juice of 1/2 lemon

-Prepare a one-quart plain or fluted mold by rinsing it with water.

 -In a bowl, stir the gelatin into the water and stir it with your finger to dissolve. Leave it until spongy, about 5 minutes.

-Whip the cream until it holds soft peaks, and refrigerate it.

-Puree blueberries in a blender or food processor.

 There should be 1 3/4 cups of puree.

-Bring the sugar and water to a boil.

Remove from the heat and add the softened gelatin to the hot syrup. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Add this syrup to the blueberry puree and stir in the lemon juice.

-Set the mixture over a bowl of ice water and stir until it starts to thicken.

-Gradually fold in the softly whipped cream and pour the mixture into the prepared mold. (work fast, because the cream sets quickly.)

Oh, and don't waste any!

-Cover and leave in the refrigerator until firmly set, 2-3 hours.

-The bavarian cream can be made up to 24 hours ahead, but it stiffens with age and must be brought to room temperature before serving.

-Not more than 3 hours before serving, unmold the cream. Run a knife around the edge and pull the cream away from the mold with a finger to release the airlock.

-Dip the mold in hot water for a few seconds and dry off the base. I filled my sink with hot water.

-Set a platter on top of the mold and invert it. Give a sharp shake so the cream falls onto the platter.

You don't have to use a fancy pan like this, you can use a regular cake pan, or a tube pan or whatever. I just like the fancy look it gives. If you use a plain pan you can pipe whipped cream over the top for decoration! The bavarian cream can also be used as the filling in a Charlotte! You just need lady fingers and you're in business!

Hope you guys like this recipe, and enjoy it as much as we did! Dig in!

7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i like, and i have everything for it :) Congrats to the winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats to the winner lovely colour

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats to the winner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made bavarian cream but have always wanted to try! This looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your Bavarian cream is amazing. I love the color, texture and....well, everything.

    Congrats to the winner of the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe caught my eye and it looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete