Saturday, September 18, 2010

Delicious kale and Garbanzos

Hey there friends! Congratulations on making it to the weekend! The weather is warm and muggy, very overcast and foggy with showers. Perfect!

Needless to say I am currently living in my slippers.

We are all preparing for my Father-in-laws birthday tomorrow. He will be participating in the Terry Fox run, so he'll need some good recovery birthday food. Ben and I made a cake for him, and I have some dark chocolate ice cream that I'm about to churn. Oooh, it's gonna be good! Don't worry, I'll tell you all about it later.

The other night I made one of our favorite side dishes to go with the chicken Ben was poaching it white wine. Usually we use spinach in this dish, but I had kale on hand that needed to be used. I think I actually prefer it because it holds up better than the spinach does. Chard or collards would probably work well too.

Here's what you need to make this dish.
Kale and Garbanzos
1 can garbanzo beans
1 bunch kale
1 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp lemon juice
s&p
olive oil for pan

Start out by getting everything all chopped up. Dice your onion, mince your garlic, rinse your beans. Wash your kale, strip out the center stem, and chop into 1" strips (or torn chunks if you're lazy like me).

Heat a large skillet on medium (or medium high if you're willing to keep a close eye on it), and add your olive oil. Just enough to coat the pan. Toss in the onions and cook until they are softened and just beginning to caramelize.

Add in the garlic and saute for about one minute, then add the beans and cumin. Cook together for another couple of minutes. Add the kale and lemon juice. It looks like a lot of kale to start with, but it will really shrink down. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Once everything is hot, about 5 minutes,  you're all done! This is a very flavorful dish. You could use any herb or spice that sounds good, it doesn't have to be cumin. Vary the type of greens, and the type of beans to keep it interesting each time you make it. This is definitely one of our kitchen standbys!

Served with the chicken and some fresh sourdough bread it was so filling and tasty! I realize that it looks like something explicit dribbled all over the top of my kale and beans, but it's just the sauce from the chicken (Sorry, was that too gross?).

...Awkward silence...

To change the subject completely...I actually remembered to take some pictures of my sugar cookie pumpkins last night at work!

Here they are!

I though they turned out pretty well!

Hurray for Fall and the upcoming holidays! I know, just a little bit early for that sort of thing, but Canadian Thanksgiving is really just right around the corner!

Do you feel like I'm taunting you with pictures of things without giving you the recipe? Kind of like this cat is taunting this dog?

Well, if I post pics of something without a recipe, and you'd really like to have that recipe, just let me know! I'll be happy to post it for you! There are just so many things out there to make, I have a hard time choosing what to share!

What is your favorite way to eat kale?

No comments:

Post a Comment