Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lemon Poppyseed Sandwich Cookies

Remember the lemon poppyseed cookies I made at the bakery? Well, someone requested the recipe so here it is.

The actual dough is from the book Cookie Swap. I love this book! It has so many cute (and delicious) cookie ideas!
For my sandwich cookies I started with the dough from the book, and went from there.
Lemon Poppyseed Sandwich Cookies

Ingredients for the cookies:
2 1/4 C + 1 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 Tbsp poppyseeds
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C unsalted butter, cold
3/4 C + 2 Tbsp sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 Tbsp grated lemon zest
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp pure lemon extract
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Cream together the butter and sugar in a mixer. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix until fluffy.

In a separate bowl mix the flour, poppyseeds, baking powder, and salt.

Add egg to the butter/sugar and mix well. Add in the juice, zest and extracts, mix again.

Put the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet and combine, scraping down sides until incorporated.

Use a small scoop, about the size of a melon baller, and place the scoops onto a lined baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. Give each scoop of dough a little pat to flatten slightly.

Put into a 350* oven for 14 minutes, until cookies are puffed and just turning slightly golden around the bottom edge. Remove from oven and let cool.

Meanwhile, make the filling:

1/4 lb soft unsalted butter
2 C powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
lemon juice to moisten
1-2 drops yellow food coloring if desired

Place butter and sugar into mixer bowl with paddle attachment and beat until starting to incorporate.

Add vanilla and mix again. While mixer is going start adding lemon juice 1 tsp at a time until filling looks spreadable. Scrap down bowl well, and then turn mixer to high speed to create a smooth and fluffy icing.

When cookies are completely cool, use a spreading knife to put a dollop of filling onto the bottom of a cookie. Place another cookie on top and press together until you can see icing all the way around.

Now, eat lots of cookies!!!

I have to make these a couple times a week at the bakery, and I double this batch each time! Filled cookies are so much fun! Plus, these guys are super cute.

I did manage a workout this afternoon. I decided to put on my Bellyfit dvd, which I haven't done in a while. I absolutely LOVE the music, and all the fun dance moves. She also incorporates yoga and pilates, stretching and things like squats. So much fun, and a whole hour of sweat inducing cardio and stretching! Good stuff!

After my workout I was really hot and sweaty, so I decided to finally try the banana soft serve I've been seeing on everyones blogs. I had planned ahead for this last time we had overripe bananas by slicing them into a freezer bag and and freezing them.

I poured a bunch into my food processor, maybe 4 bananas worth, and started it up. I slowly drizzled rice milk in as it blended, stopping often to scrape down the sides, until it started to smooth out. I was careful not to add too much liquid so it'd stay as firm as possible. I also added in a heaping spoonful of Nutella, which, I have to say, was a pretty good choice on my part!
Next time I would either use vanilla rice milk, or add some vanilla extract. I'd also put about twice as much Nutella in.

I gained fans as I made this, so by the time it was done I was scooping 3 bowls full instead of one. I sprinkled some cocao nibs on top, and we all loved the crunch they added.

I really want to try this again, but add some blueberries instead of Nutella, or make it just banana vanilla and slice some strawberries for the top! Oh! I want to eat it ALL right now!

After our cool treat I wandered down to the lower part of our property with B and his mom to see the destruction...er, WORK that he had done with his tractor. He's really getting so much earth moving done!

When we got back to the house B's dad was home, and had brought the mail. Yay! A new Vegetarian Times! I don't have time to read it tonight, but I promised myself some time for it tomorrow.
Now, it's time for dinner (not sure what that is yet), and then off to work, as usual. I wonder what I'll put sprinkles on tonight?

Have you ever tried banana soft serve? What are your favorite add-ins?

No comments:

Post a Comment